As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Midicommand community (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Midicommand community
Boo
Re:Midicommand community 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Tyrone wrote:

The last time I managed to speak to Manuel on email was probably back at the start of the year about a bug in the MNM Live firmware ("WRONG CHECK" message displays when the MC tries to parse the MNM kit). He built a new version of the MIDI-CTRL framework - 0018. I have used this to recompile & flash the MNM Live firmware but haven't investigated it much further. It seemed like some things were refactored, and some of my old firmwares didn't compile straight away - I didn't feel like embarking on a mission to update all my old code... anyway the link is here if anyone is interested - OSX only though

https://github.com/downloads/wesen/mididuino/MidiCtrl-0018.dmg.gz

BTW - just a word of warning... I encountered a few freaky bugs (encoder values jumping around) while trying to write my latest firmware using the above version of midi control ... so i'm gonna go back on my previous post and "unrecommend" it for use. i ended up tracking down the actual MNM kit bug fix and applying that directly to my midi-ctrl 0017 installation which worked better. I'll post details of the exact fix later...
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Tyrone wrote:
haha, just to set the expectation, I was in no way volunteering to take everyone's ideas and magically turn them into minicommand firmwares... it was more about setting something up where people could put ideas up, which might provide inspiration for developers, etc..

I know that, but nice to offer your skills. As above, I'm up for helping when/where I can.

Tyrone wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I'm going to try and have another look at it (mine) this week as well. See if I can figure anything out this time. Annoying as it compiles ok/no errors, jsut doesn't seem to work as wanted.

are you able to pass/echo a program change message through your minicommand to your target device? i suspect that it's probably just something that is still an undocumented "TODO" in the framework, i came across a few of those while figuring out the mono/poly firmware, like the notehandler object... it exists but all of the methods are empty...

Good question... I'll test it tonight.
Boo
Minicommand ideas / request thread started here
Goomba
Really excited that there is still some life in the minicommand community. I just after a few months of not having it got my mini command back. Figures once I get it back that the forums and most of the documentation for the mc is gone due to manuel absence.

Im def willing to test new firmwares for both the MD(non-UW) and MnM, in addition if i can find some documentation I would def. be willing to work on some new firmwares. I haven't tried to code with mdi-ctrl yet but Im wiling to learn.

Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to check out some of the firmwares uploaded here.
Killer Beez
This is great news.
Killer Beez
Re:Midicommand community 11 Years, 10 Months ago
Hi all.
I've been studying the code on http://ruinwesen.com/support-files/doxygen/index.html

Its very well organised and easy to follow. I think I'm getting more of an idea about how to achieve my ideas.

I can see how certain things have been done
I am starting to see how modifications could achieve what I want to do but I'm not totally sure.
My basic C++ knowledge is helping but its far from complete.

I'm quite pleased that my idea is relatively simple at the moment

It seems to me that most sketches are simple and draw on the more complex classes. So creating classes is really where it's at right?
It would be great if someone could clarify any difference between uploading a sketch versus uploading a new class. If I can get that clear then writing a sketch to utilise my custom class would be the easy bit.
It wouldn't surprise me at this point if I was on the wrong path.

Anyone else working on code? It would be cool to have someone to bounce ideas off.

Joe
Boo
Hi joe, i dont think there is any real difference. A sketch is just a type of class. I think the key drivers are the complexity of the thing you're trying to create, how re-usable you want the end result to be. There is probably also a performance consideration, but this hasn't really bothered me much in the past. Some firmwares I've written are just a small sketch, others utilise their own custom classes etc etc. But generally I keep all my code separated from the framework code. as my c++ skills are also quite basic I tend to copy the design patterns of manuel's published firmwares, and then hack at it from there until it does what I had in mind but looking at manuels top level sketches they are all very simple and the bulk of the code is hidden under the hood in separate files. I keep my code files seperated to a certain degree but generally try to follow the same basic class structures and concepts so that I can create my own monster sketches. Hope this helps?
Killer Beez
Thanks yes that helps a lot. The structure is a lot clearer now. I wonder how long it will take me to create this thing.
Go to top Post Reply